Department Forms and Procedures

Forms & Procedures

Permission Numbers

Permission Number Form

  • Complete the Permission Number Request Power Form via Adobe Sign to begin routing for approval. The form will be sent to you to fill out, then to your course instructor.
  • There are two types of permission numbers:
    • Pre-requisite Waiver: Override the prerequisite(s) of the course.
    • Enrollment Override: Enroll in a full class with or without a waitlist over the enrollment cap.

Key Request Form

Key Request Form

  • Complete the Key Request Power Form via Adobe Sign to begin routing the form for approval.
  • "Date to be Returned" Will typically be the end of the school year.
  • Metal Key Requests: Once approved, if you requested a metal key, you'll receive an email from the MATE Department letting you know a Key Card is ready for pick up. You will then take that Key Card to the Key Shop (58-103) to obtain your key. You will need to provide a photo ID.
  • E-Key Requests: Once approved, E-key requests are submitted to CENG IT Services once a week. Once we receive the e-Key from ITS, you will receive an email from the MATE Department to pick up your e-Key from our office (41-229).
  • Hours:

    • Working Hours: Monday-Friday 8am-6pm

      Faculty Advisor required: Monday-Friday 6pm-10pm, Sat & Sun 8am-10pm

Purchase Request Form

MATE Single Vendor Purchase Request Form

Please consult your instructor/advisor before making any purchases for your project. Then use the MATE Single Vendor Purchase Request Form to list the items you wish to purchase and to explain how you are going to store supplies and chemicals. You will be attaching your safety protocol(s).

Purchasing Form Instructions: 

  1. Complete the Purchase Request PowerForm to initiate the form.
  2. You will receive an email to complete the form on adobe sign. Input all fields and attach your safety protocols. The form will then be sent to your faculty advisor for approval.
  3. The form will then be sent to the MATE Tech, Eric Beaton, for approval. This step communicates which hazardous substances are being purchased so that Eric can ensure safe storage. Next, the Department Chair and Administrative Coordinator will approve the form.
  4. After your purchase arrives, you will be informed via email. Promptly pick up your items from the MATE Office (41A-229), and review proper storage of any hazardous substances with Eric Beaton.
  5. If you must transfer small amounts of your hazardous substance into smaller containers, properly label the smaller container with its contents (e.g., chemical name), type of hazard (e.g., flammable, poisonous, carcinogenic), your name and contact information, and date of transfer.


List of Vendors Who Offer Discounted Supplies



  • Staples
  • School Specialty
  • Complete Book & Media Supply (CBMS) 
  • Amazon


  • B&H Photo Video
  • Dell
  • IRG
  • CDW 
  • Connection
  • HP

Facilities Management

  • Grainger
  • Gordon Industrial Supply Company
  • Supply Works
  • Fastenal
  • Waxie
  • Vet Force

Laboratory & Scientific, Medical & Athletic

  • Carolina
  • Henry Schein
  • Sigma- Aldrich
  • VWR International
  • Fisher Scientific 


Please do not make any purchases without first obtaining approval from your instructor. All reimbursements for project work are for supplies used to design and/or analyze your project. Food costs will not be reimbursed.

Senior Project Storage Information Form

Senior Project Storage Information Form. 

  1. Download the Senior Project Storage Information Form and fill out every field. 
  2. Please email storage information forms to Eric Beaton at
  3. Please print and place form in designated senior project shelf area


All persons traveling on university business (University Traveler) must receive authorization to travel before booking any travel, including individual travelers or group travel. 

Prior to booking travel each traveler should fill out their own pre-authorization form, and have  an Approving Official sign. Approving Official must have signature authority on chart fields listed, and hold an employment classification of MPP, Dept. Head, Dept. Chair or confidential. 

Fee for Service (FFS)

We offer a limited set of services (e.g., scanning electron microscopy, metallographic image analysis, instron tensile testing, heat treating and processing, and consultation).  Learn more about our various fee for service options by viewing our forms below.

FFS Forms:

Please contact Trevor Harding for any matters regarding fee for service by phone at (805) 756-7163 or by email at

How to Address Sponsored Packages

Use the following address: 

Materials Engineering Department

RE: Student Name

One Grand Avenue

San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0359

Student Inquiries, see STUDENT ASSISTANT for the following:

Student Forms (Course Subsitutions, withdrawals, etc.)

  • Please see the Cal Poly Student Forms page FIRST

  • If the form is not listed here, refer to the Engineering Student Services page and use the various tabs
  • If you cannot find the form, please visit the Engineering Student Services Office in Building 40
  • Complete the form and turn it into the correct office listed on the form

Access to labs and conference rooms

  • Visit the MATE office and ask to be let into the lab/room

Plan meetings with Trevor Harding

  • Come into the MATE office and ask the student assistant to help schedule a meeting with Trevor Harding
  • You can call the MATE office at 805-756-2568
  • You can also email Dr. Trevor Harding at

Related Content

Contact Us


Materials Engineering Department
1 Grand Avenue
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407

Location: 41A-229

Phone: (805) 756-2568


Hours: M-F 8am-5pm

Click here to view map.