Scholarships & Awards
Thanks to generous donations from alumni and friends of MATE, our department is able to offer a few unique scholarships and awards. The department announces when these scholarships and awards are available.
MATE Scholarships & Awards
George & Tonny Murray Scholarship
Dr. Murray served as the department chair from 1984 to 1986 and established this scholarship when he retired.
Requirements: MATE major with best GPA in his/her freshman year (normally determined after spring grades are in), continuing as a sophomore in the upcoming fall quarter.
James J. Regan Scholarship
Alum and long-time department supporter, James Regan (Class of 1968), established this scholarship that demonstrates how to “pay it forward.” The purpose of the scholarship is to alleviate the burden of working so that the student receiving the scholarship can dedicate more time to studying and participating in extra-curricular activities.
Requirement: MATE major working part-time to cover the cost of attending Cal Poly.
Smyth Service to Humanities Award
Noni Smyth worked in the MATE department for over 30 years as the administrative coordinator. In honor of her children who choose the path of helping others, she helped set up an award for MATE majors who participate in humanitarian projects.
Noni retired in 2010 and received a special surprise at MATE's 50th anniversary banquet - news that many donations had come in to support her award.
If you know of someone who fits the criterion (including yourself), please email Dr. Chen, email@example.com, no later than 5/26/17 with a paragraph on how the criterion is met.
Fill out the application here and email to Dr. Chen.
W. D. Forgeng Photo Contest
To honor Dr. Bill Forgeng’s efforts to promote metallurgy, the MATE department and MESS student club hold an annual competition which is open to any Cal Poly student who has taken images of materials with the microscopes in the MATE department.
A call for entries is typically emailed to students early in Spring Quarter, and winners are announced at the Spring External Advisory Board meeting.
W. D. Forgeng Scholarship
In memory of Dr. William D. Forgeng who taught in MATE for over 17 years, and in grateful recognition of Maureen Forgeng and Karen Forgeng Libby’s generosity, up to two scholarships a year are awarded to outstanding MATE majors.
Other Scholarships & Awards
Various companies and materials engineering societies offer scholarships and awards. As we receive notices from organizations, we post information in weekly announcements.
Learn more about these opportunities and their specific applications and deadlines at the websites below:
- American Ceramic Society’s (ACerS’s) Electronics Division: Lewis C. Hoffman Scholarship
- American Society for Metals (ASM) - LA Chapter Scholarship
- American Society for Metals (ASM) Materials Education Foundation Undergraduate Scholarships
- Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST) Scholarships
- Association for Iron & Steel Technology (AIST) Southern California Member Chapter Scholarship
- Cal Poly’s External Scholarships Listing
- Ellwood Group, Inc. Annual Metallurgy Scholarship
- Forging Industry Women's Scholarship
- IMERYS North America Scholarship
- Material Handling Education Foundation (MHEFI) Scholarship
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE) Los Angeles Scholarship
- NACE International Foundation Scholarships
- Norcal Society for the Advancement of Materials and Process Engineering (SAMPE) Scholarships
- Nordson BUILDS Scholarship Program
- Noyce Science Scholarship
- PG&E Better Together STEM Scholarship
- Society for Mining, Metallurgy and Exploration (SME) Scholarships
- The Minerals, Metals and Materials Society (TMS) Scholarships