Our undergraduate program in materials engineering (B.S., Materials Engineering) is currently accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission(s) of ABET, https://www.abet.org, under the General Criteria and the Materials Engineering Program Criteria. We hold a deep commitment to ensuring the high quality and relevance of our program, and we value continuous improvement.
Program Education Objectives
Holistically address complex challenges, drawing from materials engineering understanding and life experiences.
Live meaningful, socially-beneficial lives, enriched by their engineering education.
Exemplify the ability to be proactive and adaptable throughout their lives.
Communicate and collaborate effectively in various contexts and on diverse teams.
Have personally fulfilling careers as professionals with increasing responsibility and impact in their organizations.
- An ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
- The four major elements of the field: (i.e., structure, properties, processing, and performance) related to materials systems
- Selection and design of materials, processes, or a combination of materials and processes
- Application of experimental, statistical, and computational methods to materials problems