Career Services Update for CENG Students, Faculty & Staff
Hello engineering students!
Career Services is committed to supporting your career-related needs and we hope you will tap into our Spring Quarter virtual services listed below. There are many things you can do to keep making progress with your career plans and goals and we're here to support you in your journey.
TWO WAYS TO GET HELP WITH A CAREER ADVISOR
1. SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT
· Virtual appointments (phone or Zoom) with Career Counselors are available Monday through Friday for any of your career-related needs: resume and cover letter review, change of major, career exploration, interviewing, job and internship search, networking, grad school, evaluating job offers, and more.
· To schedule an appointment, login to MustangJOBS/Handshake through the Portal, click on Career Center drop-down, select Appointment, and follow the prompts. If you prefer, you can call Career Services at (805) 756-2501 to schedule.
2. VIRTUAL DROP-IN HOURS VIA ZOOM
· Virtual Drop-in hours are recommended when you want immediate help on your career-related needs (same topics as appointments above).
· Virtual Drop-in is offered Monday - Friday from 9:00am - 11:00am and 1:00pm - 3:00pm
· Download the free Zoom app with your Cal Poly login information.
You must have the app downloaded to your computer or phone. Using just the web browser will not allow you to meet privately with a Career Advisor.
· During the above times, when you’re ready click to meet with a Career Advisor using your laptop, phone, or tablet.
· No pre-scheduling necessary—students seen on first-come, first-served basis
· If you need to be seen for more than 15 minutes, please schedule an appointment by logging into MustangJOBS, click on Career Center, then Appointment and follow prompts.
Virtual Spring Career Fair
Date: Wednesday & Thursday, April 29 and 30
· Students will need to pre-register by submitting their resume and letting us know the companies they are interested in through MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake. Pre-registration is required and opens on April 20 and will end on April 27.
· Employers will host a Zoom breakout room for 1 hour and 30 minutes. During this time students can log into an employer's Zoom breakout room and network in-real time with employers like at a face-to-face Career Fair.
· Students can research the most current list of participating employers and the opportunities they have available by visiting the Event page on MustangJOBS, powered by Handshake beginning April 15.
· Please note: You can get your resume reviewed before the career fair by scheduling a virtual appointment or by attending Virtual Drop-in (see information above).
· More information about the career fair and other events will be emailed to you from MustangJOBS (Handshake) – please check your Notification settings in Handshake to ensure you will receive these important messages.
Portfolium Challenge: Build a Project Portfolio & Compete for a Prize!
April 6 through May 15
· Portfolium is an e-portfolio platform to visually showcase your experience whether it be from class/club/personal projects, labs, research, work or internship experience, leadership, involvement, community service, etc.
· Career Services is hosting a contest during Spring Quarter for the best Portfolium Profile and Project Entry. More details about the contest and how your entries will be judged can be found on the bit.ly link below.
· Attend a Virtual Live Workshop on Tuesday, April 21 from 11:10 to noon using this Zoom url: https://calpoly.zoom.us/j/837161333. First, download the free Zoom app with your Cal Poly login information.
· A winner will be selected from each College and I hope you will compete for the best entry in the College of Engineering!
· Submit your Portfolium entry by May15th at [bit.ly/calpolypc20]bit.ly/calpolypc20 (you may need to copy and paste this url if hyperlink doesn’t work)
Virtual Live Workshops
· Attend one of our Live Virtual Workshops (via Zoom) to learn more about career-related topics (no RSVP needed). Download the free Zoom app with your Cal Poly login information.
· The complete list of workshops and events can be found under Events tab on Handshake or our Workshops and Events Google Calendar: http://www.careerservices.calpoly.edu/explore-services/your-events
· Here are some of the workshop titles offered during Spring Quarter:
o Preparing for the Virtual Career Fair
o Interviewing Skills
o Writing Effective Resumes & Cover Letters
o Navigating Your Internship or Job Search
o Graduate School Chat
o From the Classroom to the Office
o Negotiating Offers and Salaries
o Starting your Professional Portfolio on Portfolium
o Leveraging LinkedIn and Cal Poly Career Connections
· Can’t attend one of our live workshops? Check out our line-up of recorded workshops on many of the same topics at: https://careerservices.calpoly.edu/virtual-workshops-resources (more will be added soon!)
VIRTUAL INFORMATION SESSIONS
· Information Sessions are a great way to get to know an organization and their opportunities.
· Please log on to Handshake to see a list of the companies that will be conducting an Information Session this quarter. Click on Events tab, then Search Events box, then use filters on right to narrow search to Information Sessions.